The Most Reverend William H. Bullock, Bishop Emeritus, Madison

<img src="/images/Article/7514.jpg">

The Most Reverend William H. Bullock, Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Madison, passed away on Sunday, April 3, 2011, at his home. 
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church, 401 S. Owen Drive, Madison, on Thursday, April 7, 2011, at 11 a.m. The Most Reverend Jerome Listecki, Archbishop of Milwaukee, was the principal celebrant, with Most Reverend Paul Swain, Bishop of Sioux Falls, as homilist. Visitation as held on Wednesday, April 6, from 3 until 8 p.m. at Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church, Madison, with a Vigil Prayer Service at 7:30 p.m. led by The Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison. Visitation was also at the church on Thursday morning from 9 a.m. until the start of the Funeral Mass. Interment was in Resurrection Catholic Cemetery.
Bishop Bullock was born in Maple Lake, MN, on April 13, 1927, the son of Loren and Anne Bullock. He attended Maple Lake Grade School, Maple Lake and Annandale High School, Annandale, MN. He studied at St. Thomas University, St. Paul, MN, until entering the U.S. Navy during World War II in 1944. After his naval experience, he studied at the University of Notre Dame, where he earned a B.A. in Philosophy in 1948, and then entered St. Paul Seminary. Later, he returned to Notre Dame, where he earned a Master of Arts in Liturgy and Religious Education in 1962, followed by returning to St. Thomas University where he earned an Ed. S. in Education and Administration in 1969. He received an Honorary Doctor of Humanities from St. Ambrose University in Davenport, IA, in 1989 and an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree, Honoris Causa, from St. Thomas University in 2005.
Father Bullock was ordained by Auxiliary Bishop James Byrne on June 7, 1952, at Saint Paul Cathedral, St. Paul, MN. He was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis by Pope John Paul II June 3, 1980, and Ordained Auxiliary Bishop August 12, 1980, at St. Paul Cathedral, St. Paul, Minnesota. He was appointed Bishop of Des Moines, IA, February 10, 1987, and Installed as Bishop April 7, 1987. He was appointed Bishop of Madison, WI, April 13, 1993, and Installed as Bishop June 15, 1993. Pope John Paul II accepted his resignation May 23, 2003. Bishop Bullock served the Diocese of St. Paul as Associate Pastor at St. Stephen Parish, Minneapolis, MN, from 1952-1955; Our Lady of Grace Parish, Edina, MN, from 1955-1956; and Incarnation Parish, Minneapolis, Minnesota from 1956-1957. He was an Instructor at St. Thomas Academy, St. Paul, MN, from 1957-1971 and Headmaster from 1967-1971. He served as Pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish, Excelsior, MN, from 1971-1980 and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Minneapolis, MN, 1980.
During his years of ministry to the Catholic Church Universal, Bishop Bullock also served as a member of the following committees in various capacities: National Conference of Catholic Bishops (now the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops); Bishops’ Committee on Liturgy; Religious Life and Ministry Committee; Tri-Conference Committee; USCCB Communications Committee; Catholic Relief Services: Executive Committee, Subcommittee on Africa, and Committee on Overseas Programs and Operations; NCCB/USCCB Agenda Committee: Planning Committee for General Meetings and Assemblies, Evangelization Committee; and Advisory Council of the School of Theology and Seminary of St. John’s Abbey, Collegeville, Minnesota. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, Fourth Degree; Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, KGCHS, St. Francis Seminary Board of Trustees, Milwaukee, WI, and Catholic Telecommunications network of America, T.T.N.A.
As shepherd of the Diocese of Madison for 10 years, Bishop Bullock outlined his priorities early on: encouraging increased spirituality among the priests and laity of the diocese, evaluating ways to use buildings, programs and agencies more efficiently, and to build a vision for the diocese together. Bishop Bullock, at his installation in 1993, stressed the importance of Christian love in this vision, saying: “First, loving and trusting God and second, loving our neighbor generously and without resentment. If we continue to do that, nothing will be able to separate us from the love of Christ.”
During his years of leadership of, and service to, the Diocese of Madison, Bishop Bullock established the official archives of the diocese; established the thriving St. Therese of Lisieux Lecture Series as an opportunity to experience that life-giving presence of Catholic traditions, to learn more about the faith and to live charity more authentically; led the Diocese of Madison in celebrating its 50th anniversary (1996); and gave the great work started by St. Martin House a real home through formally opening the Catholic Multicultural Center (2002). His vision at the CMC is continued through the generous leadership and work of Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish in Madison.
He is survived by his two sisters, Adelaide “Addie” and Elizabeth “Betty” Bullock; two nieces and their families, Colleen Carter (William) and their three children: Patrick, Mark, and Bridget, and Rebecca “Becky” Ludenia (Michael) and their three children: Kevin (Jessica), Janel, and Scott. He was preceded in death by his parents, Loren and Anne Bullock; his sister, Mary Anne Gary and her husband, George; and his brothers, Clifford and Leonard.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials to the Catholic Multicultural Center through Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church, 401 S. Owen Drive, Madison, WI 53711 would be appreciated. To view and sign this guestbook please visit www.ryanfuneralservice.com.
Joyce-Ryan Funeral Home & Cremation Service of Madison, WI, handled the arrangements. 
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet