Ask a trooper: November 12, 2014


Question: What does the reduce speed sign that says "when children are present" mean? When children are present where? In school, outside the school, outside the fence?
Answer: According to Minnesota State Statute 169.14 (5a): "Such school speed limits shall be in effect when children are present, going to or leaving school during opening or closing hours or during school recess periods."
My understanding is the law refers to when children are "outside" the school.  This includes when buses are present and when kids are in crosswalks, on sidewalks and out in the schoolyard. Even if there is a fence, it is not going to stop a vehicle that is speeding and out of control and runs off the highway or street. This is why it is so important to slow down through school zones and pay extra attention for bicyclists and pedestrians.
Question: We have three employees visiting from Nepal for three months who all have their motorcycle licenses (issued from Nepal). Are they legally allowed to drive motorcycles here in the United States with those licenses?  What would allow them legally to drive motorcycles or mopeds here?
Answer: Yes, they would be allowed to drive. A non-resident who is at least 15 years of age and has in immediate possession a valid driver’s license from their home state or country may operate a motor vehicle in this state. Remember that Minnesota traffic laws apply to any driver, regardless of their residency.
For more information on traffic laws and safety information:
A portion of state statutes was used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here